Full-Time Greek island (Chios)—Opportunity for teacher with management skills to volunteer. Unique Language Centre for asylum seekers is looking for ESL experienced coordinator. Free accommodation and expense allowance.
CESRT/Offene Arme e.V. (Chios Eastern Shore Response Team/Open Arms) is a group of international volunteers from many different countries working to support the refugee community on the Greek island of Chios. In addition to its other contributions, CESRT/OA has a well established and unique educational centre that has been successfully open for more than two years now, providing educational services for male and female adult asylum seekers over 18 years old.
Our Language Centre is located close to Vial refugee camp. The students access their classes at various scheduled times during the week, with open activities & workshops taking place on Saturdays. From Monday to Friday we focus mainly on English providing 3 classes of English and students also have the opportunity to learn French, German and Greek twice a week. Other services available at the centre are free sessions with volunteer lawyer teams on the island, art, conversation, reading and gardening activities. The centre has a very friendly welcoming atmosphere while delivering a high standard of language education.
We are now looking for a coordinator for the Language Centre who is interested and committed to contributing a minimum of six months full time to this project, from the mid-June onwards.
As the Language Centre coordinator, your responsibilities and tasks would be:
- Set the tone of the Language Centre as a calm, clean, safe, welcoming, respectful and supportive learning atmosphere for both students and teachers.Demonstrate to all students and teachers the expected friendly and inclusive demeanor regardless of background, nationality or gender of each student that attends to the centre.
- Support the teachers, ensuring that they have access to materials, are clear about what is expected of them and feel that they can seek help/advice when needed.
- Open and close the centre, 6 days a week, with the language centre team. Ensure that when the centre is closed it is clean and tidy, ready and prepared for opening the next day.
- Develop and implement—with input from the staff where appropriate—systems, schedules, curriculum and planning needed to accommodate as many students as possible within the Language Centre/classes, while keeping the ethos and atmosphere of the LC intact.
- Ensure, with the cooperation of the teaching team and other CESRT volunteers, that protocols for all those attending the centre are upheld.
- Take responsibility for administration, day to day accounting/budgeting and purchase of weekly supplies.
- Advertise and recruit new teachers, through applications and conducting Skype interviews as required.
- Attend CESRT coordination meetings and fortnightly educational meetings in Vial camp, with UNHCR and other educational organisations on the island.
- Participate in other CESRT activities as interest and time permits.
- Regularly teach in the centre where time permits.
Essential Requirements for this role:
- Fluent English language
- Strong interpersonal communication skills & ability to work well in a team
- Experience in project coordination or team leadership
- Demonstrable experience in teaching
- Sensitivity towards those we are working with
- Holding a European driving license
- Evidence of previous ESL/EFL teaching experience
- Ability to teach other European languages
- Some familiarity with Arabic, Farsi, Urdu or French
- Being part of the project team is a highly stimulating and rewarding experience.
- Free shared accommodation, with other teachers
- Free food at lunch
- A modest expense /living allowance is provided
- Transportation on the island is provided